Lander to Pinedale, Wyoming- a chance to reconnect

I realized just how frustrated I was by the storm in Lander when I went to unload my camera and found not a single shot from my two day visit...I was so upset I guess I didn't even have the energy or desire to take a photo- what a brat!  I really should have, as snow and sleet can be a beautiful thing when they dust the Wind River range, Red Canyon, and the Lander foothills.  To see a great shot of the landscape just head over to SchnitzerPhoto.


I left the Double D Ranch, where I had stayed for the evening, and worked my way west along Ethete cutoff road back toward WY 287 to Lander.  The sky was blue, and the roads were dry!  I knew this was the time to head over to Pinedale.  The drive south along WY 28 along the eastern slope of the Wind River mountain range was stunning; I passed the cutoff for Red Canyon Ranch, a gorgeous area managed by The Nature Conservancy that I have always wanted to visit- maybe next time.  The truck slowly climbed the slope of South Pass, which was a little wet and slushy still.  The roads became drier and more welcoming as the road pitched down to a more level state


I made it to Pinedale and met up with my old friend, Nick, for dinner at the Brew Pub of the Wind River Brewing Company, where I had the tastiest Wyoming Pale Ale ever.  Nick and I met two years ago when I worked at the HF Bar Ranch.  I was at the Sheridan WYO Rodeo, and he actually was the first person to teach me how to Western Swing...I've always appreciated that.  We then lost touch, as he worked in the Bridger WIlderness and I was between California and Wyoming.  Just this past summer we ran into eachother at the Sheridan WYO Rodeo, our original meeting place.


Since, we have remained in touch, thanks in part to our mutual friend Andrea, whom was his boss when they worked in the Forest Service together.  It's actually pretty funny: over Thanksgiving break I went home to Sheridan with Andrea; Nick didn't know we were pretty much best friends at this point, but knew her and knew myself in very different contexts.  Andrea met Nick at the American Legion for some dancing, and then I walked up and said "hi!"  He looked at the two of us, confused, and asked "are you two here together?"   Yup, we had thought it would be funny to surprise him, and he sure was.














We then headed out to one of the best bars I've ever visited in Wyoming...it is a local gem, and must remain a secret :)  I met so many amazing people, many who's families have resided and ranched in this valley for well over a hundred years.  One gentleman whom people only know as Dude, was an interesting fellow; weathered Levi's sherpa lined denim jacket, silk scarf (which is very common in this region), wrinkles, Pall Malls, and a sharp wit.  Dude is known to say to his friends in the bar "You are all some crazy f****rs, you took me in! I love ya guys!"  He's originally from Arizona, and looks it; his skin is like warm, sun-stained leather, and he even looks dusty...this is a compliment in my mind.


Here's a few photos from around the ranch where I stayed.


 The one on the left is so coy






 Little prancer with the Wind River Range in the background














 Too cool for school






 The view west toward the Wyoming Range






 Old trailer






Now don't you just want to have a picnic here?




Saturday held a ton of work, as we were joining members of the Pape family and their friends at the branding corrals at 8 am for a day of branding about a hundred calves...it was the little branding, as opposed to next Saturday's branding of 800 head.  I just wish I didn't have to work this next Saturday!






 Photograph from Wyoming Stock Growers Association




I was responsible for giving all calves a vaccination for respiratory illnesses that can occur.  This process was done by a rider on horseback ropin' a calf, and dragging it over to two other people who then knock the calf down and hold it still, raising it's top foreleg, which allowed me to grab a little tuft of skin from under it's top foreleg, and administer the vaccine with an injector underneath the skin, but not into the flesh.  It was a fast paced and demanding job, as riders continually bring more calves, so one can forget which calf has already been vaccinated; were it not for the orange colored putty markers that I used to mark the back of each calf that had been worked, there would be no ability to tell.





 Photograph from Wyoming Stock Growers Association


The morning warmed and I had to remove my silk scarf, Carhartt jacket, and down vest, but the whipping wind continued.  Following the branding we took the horses out for a ride through the expansive meadow, just west of the branding corral.  The horses headed toward the Wyoming Range in the distance, crossed the two lane highway, where passersby glanced at the site: two dirt and shit covered ranch hands loping white horses along WY 191.  I urged my horse into a gallop and tore through the meadow, going so fast that my hat flew from my head and I had to turn around and head back about 50 feet to fetch it.


 Branding corrals to the right background of this photo; Wind River Range was our view







We rode through a lush meadow that led to dinner (lunch)  at the ranch house




Everyone I met that day was so amazing...the most helpful, sweet, hospitable people one could ever hope to meet.  They fed and housed me, and I am so blessed to end up among such people and be welcomed into their lives and homes; shoot, they even gave me a horse. Eric, the ranch owner who housed and gave me a horse, had seen me galloping along and chuckled saying "girl, you sure can set on a horse."  I was pleased to hear that, as having not ridden since August had me really self conscious as to whether I still had it.


We rode back to the branding corral and headed into Pinedale to pick up my truck.  It was time to think about heading back to Idaho Falls; I'm a natural planner, and would have been bummed if the weather turned and I were to miss work or some other responsibility.  The time spent in Pinedale among new and old friends was just what I needed.  I needed to reconnect, with friends, the land, the work, Wyoming.








Oh, and here's what a day of that work results in
Major bruises


Comments

Popular Posts