Austin, SXSW, Babyhed, Bikes!, Tacos! and "the trailers" = best SPRING BREAK ever?
pretty much.
Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas-Capitol building
I spent my spring break in Austin, Texas, visiting Max. We had an amazing time! I was pretty grateful that we had spring break over the same period, and given my flexible work/school schedule, I was able to spend 13 days down there. I was able to do my RA work from home, as well as the UT Austin campus, which is where Max is working on his Master's of Music Composition.
A mounted Caribou in the Capitol building; the Caribou has Mardi Gras beads strung about its antlers...I joked to Max and John that a senator must have had a rowdy party up there.
Max was successful in securing a bicycle for me to use over my stay, which in Austin during SXSW is the only "convenient" mode of transportation. It's not too difficult driving around town, but with the influx of 300,000 additional people to a small city for the music fest, finding vehicle parking is near impossible. I mentioned to Max the other day that the presence of a bicycle actually changed the entire nature/character of my first impression and experiences in Austin. It's a very bike friendly city, and I saw so much of it. (Thanks, Heather).
The Capitol building rotunda
My second night in town was my introduction to the city. Max's good buddy, Jon, had us over and we hung out with him and his little dog, Maylena (she's an amazing fetcher, and is super smart!). We all hopped on the bikes and headed south to downtown, where we rode around the grounds of the Texas state Capitol building; I took some photographs of the architecture as well as the guys joking around.
Max and Jon with the Ten Commandments behind the Capitol building. In about five minutes the guys analyzed and deconstructed the nature and intent of the Commandments, deciding that they were instilled to define ideal conduct among the self, family, society, and ultimately a governing body or system. Good work guys.
Max and Dan, his buddy from back when we lived in San Francisco. We happened to just meet up at a free show at The Liberty.
SXSW was in its beginning stages...the calm before the storm, really. However, that Monday (3/14), was the official start, and what was to follow for the next 6 days was overwhelming but so awesome:
parties on every block; free concerts; wide-eyed, semi-smug looking media/music industry peeps wandering the streets, wristbands and convention access cards proudly worn round their necks; food trailers selling anything and everything you could ever want (soon to be detailed).
Agent Ribbons- a former San Francisco all-girl band; second best show of SXSW at The Liberty
Eastside Drive-in, East 6th St. Photo: Blake Blumberg, I think???
Part two still to come:
JV and Slota
(number one SXSW outdoor party performance)
Balcones Canyonlands
Backyard BBQ
Agent Ribbons- a former San Francisco all-girl band; second best show of SXSW at The Liberty
St. Patrick's day was pretty much unobserved, due to excessive competing merriment; nonetheless we found ourselves at The Liberty, a chill bar where the drinks are poured strong, and I think tattoos and/or moustaches may be a requirement to get in (if you have both, even better). This amazing band went on, Agent Ribbons. They are Sacramento, California girls originally, but now reside and kill it in Austin. The girls began their set with a cool hand-patty-cake number with a 50's rockabilly aesthetic to it. It was charming, coy, and risque all rolled into one great performance.
Eastside Drive-in, East 6th St. Photo: Blake Blumberg, I think???
So back to all that unending and super convenient access to amazing food!: Jon mentioned that he wanted fresh squeezed juice while we were riding down East 6th St., so we thought we could try the food trailers, locally known as The Eastside Drive-in. The Eastside Drive-in describes itself as "a vintage oasis of community events, film, music, cuisine, and camaraderie;" essentially, pure awesomeness contained in the loose form of a circle of trailers with lights strung about.
I was standing outside of this cool bar that shares the lot with the Drive-in; it had a fenced backyard, with music playing and a firepit...it was ridiculous. Max needed to take a pee and headed back toward a Port-a-Potty he had seen near the lot entrance. As he attempted to use the thing, a guy walked out of it and informed him that the facilities were only to be used by food trailer businesses and workers. Max was polite and asked if there were any other bathrooms around, and if not, may he please use the Port-a-Potty. The guy was super cool, and said "sure, just lock the thing up and return the key to me over in that trailer that looks like a chicken."
Photograph from Gonzo's Facebook page
Max returned to the fence that Jon and I were locking our bikes to, and tells us of the nice guy who let him use the facilities, and that we should go check out what kinds of food his trailer specializes in. We walk up to the chicken-trailer and to our surprise it is a just opened business, Gonzo Juice and Salad. Fresh squeezed juice. Exactly what we had been craving! (Max and I shared the Dad's Truck: Apples, Beets, and Carrots = delicious! It was a welcome coincidence, and the proprietor was super nice. A really enthusiastic guy who clearly loves what he does. We left satisfied, and in good spirits, and promised to return again soon.
Part two still to come:
JV and Slota
(number one SXSW outdoor party performance)
Balcones Canyonlands
Backyard BBQ








Comments
that's what always happens when Jon and I go out. he's so lucky :)
wish i could have been there with you guys
I love it how it all works out, right? I hope to see you in a few weeks, I will be down in Austin from April 13-18. Have a nice day!