photos found
I-80, somewhere in Nevada
Over spring break, I was looking through Max's iphoto and stumbled upon a collection of photographs that I had completely forgotten about: our roadtrip vacation from August 2008. On this trip we drove from San Francisco, California, through Nevada on Interstate 80; up Interstate 95, through the deserts of South Eastern Oregon, to Boise, Idaho.
Max stretching after a long drive through Eastern Oregon
Max and I taking a swim break and enjoying the scenery at the Boise River Greenbelt; Boise, Idaho
We then took Idaho Highway 21 through the Boise National Forest; along the Salmon River and through the Challis National Forest; north along Interstate 93, through the Bitterroot National Forest, and up to Missoula, Montana.
An old cabin along the Salmon River, somewhere west of Stanley, Idaho
Standing in Lake McDonald; Glacier National Park, Montana
From Missoula, it's a few hours drive to Glacier National Park via Montana Highway 35 north.
Upon entering Glacier National Park at the south-west point you see the gorgeous view into the park from the shore of McDonald Lake. The colors, the size of the mountains, and the chill of the water are shocking. Driving deeper into the park, we hit some traffic...which sound's ridiculous, but it's a very popular destination. We sat in the idling car, waiting for the long line of visitors and vehicles to proceed; I then see an adult Black Bear come running up the river bank with a fish in its mouth, dripping river water and slowing to a walk right in front of our little car. I was surprised, this being the first bear I'd seen outside of a zoo.
Driving through the tunnel along Going to the Sun Road; Glacier National Park
We did the "tourist thing," which is pretty rare for the two of us; but come on, it's Glacier! We drove the long, climbing and winding, Going to the Sun Road. It was frightening and gorgeous...I'm deathly afraid of heights.
Backcountry wilderness ranger's quarters and stock; East Glacier, Montana
We drove up and over the park, and headed further north; a few hours longer and we had reached our trailhead: Big Chief, the north-eastern most entrance; a one minute walk to the Canadian border. We packed in and camped a few nights at a designated site not far from the wilderness ranger's cabin. The photograph above is the ranger's view from their window...lucky!
Helen Lake; East Glacier, Montana
Over spring break, I was looking through Max's iphoto and stumbled upon a collection of photographs that I had completely forgotten about: our roadtrip vacation from August 2008. On this trip we drove from San Francisco, California, through Nevada on Interstate 80; up Interstate 95, through the deserts of South Eastern Oregon, to Boise, Idaho.
Max stretching after a long drive through Eastern Oregon
Max and I taking a swim break and enjoying the scenery at the Boise River Greenbelt; Boise, Idaho
We then took Idaho Highway 21 through the Boise National Forest; along the Salmon River and through the Challis National Forest; north along Interstate 93, through the Bitterroot National Forest, and up to Missoula, Montana.
An old cabin along the Salmon River, somewhere west of Stanley, Idaho
Standing in Lake McDonald; Glacier National Park, Montana
From Missoula, it's a few hours drive to Glacier National Park via Montana Highway 35 north.
Upon entering Glacier National Park at the south-west point you see the gorgeous view into the park from the shore of McDonald Lake. The colors, the size of the mountains, and the chill of the water are shocking. Driving deeper into the park, we hit some traffic...which sound's ridiculous, but it's a very popular destination. We sat in the idling car, waiting for the long line of visitors and vehicles to proceed; I then see an adult Black Bear come running up the river bank with a fish in its mouth, dripping river water and slowing to a walk right in front of our little car. I was surprised, this being the first bear I'd seen outside of a zoo.
Driving through the tunnel along Going to the Sun Road; Glacier National Park
We did the "tourist thing," which is pretty rare for the two of us; but come on, it's Glacier! We drove the long, climbing and winding, Going to the Sun Road. It was frightening and gorgeous...I'm deathly afraid of heights.
Backcountry wilderness ranger's quarters and stock; East Glacier, Montana
We drove up and over the park, and headed further north; a few hours longer and we had reached our trailhead: Big Chief, the north-eastern most entrance; a one minute walk to the Canadian border. We packed in and camped a few nights at a designated site not far from the wilderness ranger's cabin. The photograph above is the ranger's view from their window...lucky!
Helen Lake; East Glacier, Montana
Looking west into East Glacier, Montana
Glacier National Park was an amazing and challenging experience...I will never forget the trip and the fun times that Max and I had. I'm just glad to have found these photographs to help me remember every once in a while!









Comments