Published!
I went to visit my former co-workers at the HF Bar Ranch, in Saddlestring, Wyoming this past Friday; having not seen them in a year left a lot of catching up to do. I mingled and laughed with people from all over the world, but one conversation left me giddy with excitement. Clark Smyth, the owner and operator of Rock Creek Anglers, the fly and rod shop at the ranch, told me that he was given a copy of High Country News (HCN), the excellent publication created in 1970 by Tom Bell, a staunch conservationist and modern day spiritual wanderer and warrior. Clark was looking through the magazine and a photograph caught his eye, two kids on horseback with some rather stunning mountains in the background. He thought they resembled the Bighorns and checked out the photography credits and it turns out that it was a photograph that I took while working at the HF last summer.
This is news to me, as well as the fact that the photograph got a 1/3 of a page spread. All I can say is YIPPEE! That is so cool. I had forgotten that I had entered a HCN photography contest, "People of the West" way back in May, and had come in third place in votes cast by the readers of the website. So this is a needed boost to my commitment to photography, as I constantly take photographs but share, primarily through this blog, only a select few. This reminds me that if I am in to sharing my work with people, that I should continue to seek out other opportunities to do so. So with that understood, I believe I will enter HCN's current contest, "The Weird West"- I'd better get out there today and look for the weirdness, but it shouldn't be too hard to spot.


Comments