Sometimes travel is just a change of YOUR norm

       Red


This week has brought a sense of stability and calm around me; I have found myself comfortable in my local surroundings.  I'm getting to know Lander, and some people in town as well.  One family in particular, the Glick's have been gracious, welcoming and always tons of fun.  I first met them at the Wrangler Team Roping Championships in town back in June, and have since been to a few more ropings, had a late dinner at the grill, and enjoyed numerous jokes (mostly at my expense) with them.  They are very competitive in the area of Team Roping, and even have a very large arena on their ranch to practice their sport and work the Quarter Horses in training.  Ryan Glick came out to the ranch where I work last week and helped Red and I move cows, which was very appreciated.  I have never attended the ropings at the Glick ranch, but Ryan asked if I'd like to come out and get some photographs.




The Lineup


 Ryan's wife, Sky, is a pretty good roper.  Her sister, Sage, has done Breakaway Roping, but the goal of the evening was for her to pickup Team Roping.  She gave it a few practice runs, and in less than ten minutes had roped herself a steer.



Sage: Heading, and Sky: Heeling-  Pretty good job for Sage's first time Team Roping, she even dallies here with her right hand, picking up the slack and pulling the steer forward for Sky to get those heels.



 The Girls got him, and doesn't he look upset?



 Insult to injury, Red then moves the steer back to the pen.









Just here to take some photos...oh, and I still can't believe I have been drinking bad beer.



Still on the fence about a lot




 The view West from the Glick ranch


We spent the evening watching in my case (I'm still roping dummy steerheads), and Red taking part in the roping activities, had a couple beers, talked and laughed;  a nice outing and a needed feeling of friendship and community.  This is so important, as I am living through a big transition period right now, and haven't had a very rooted existence for a while, connections with people are what sustain me.  They may have thought I just wanted to get some cool photographs, but really when the evening was over, I was just so happy to have been around such a great family, it made me feel less like a traveler and more at home.

Comments

That is so amazing! I'm glad there is a family that can be your family away from home. I hope you truly understand how freaking awesome your life is right now...I'm so jealous!!!
thanks Chelsea,

And again, thanks very much for reading. I am loving EVERY second of my time here, and don't regret the choices I have made to get here. It is tough sometimes, but experiences like the ones I have written about are what I am here for and what keep me going.

Popular Posts