Oh, Wyoming!



Evanston, Wyoming is a small, drive through town on Interstate 80.  In hopes to see as much of the diverse landscape of Wyoming as possible, I deviate from 80, pitching the car North, toward Afton, and on to the Tetons.  The road, WY 89, weaves from East to West, many times, winding between state lines, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho, divided by fenced range on either side.  A narrow two lane highway, one that in California would serve as a county road, a meeting ground as I pass by the only person for miles, a rancher in a dark, wide Dodge truck.


    Storm near Geneva, Idaho


The feeling of being surrounded by nothing but open land is staggering.  Looking West toward Utah, the flat, sparse land drops off, at once becoming a deep canyon, sandy rock giving way to red, amber and muddled purples.  At Geneva, Idaho, the last location on the road between where the states grapple for ownership, a monstrous storm hits.  No-I drive right into it...only one thing to do but hold on tight and keep moving forward.  I have reached Wyoming, an unforgiving and enticing land, the place I have planned for, one I have sacrificed much to be able to be within, and I'm doing it...Oh, Wyoming!


    Wyoming

Comments

Popular Posts